Apr. 12th, 2005 @ 07:52 am
I create this style originally to use as a simple, black and white style that looked good without using images and loaded quickly on any connection. For this contest, I added colour and background customisation to it, and a great deal more. Negatives is an elegant, highly customisable, div-based style that can be given an individual look using only the wizard interface. It provides an eclectic mix of customisations, and notably allows texture customisation to a degree found in few other styles. Preview LinksRecent EntriesFriendsArchive (Calendar)Entry
Options customisable through the wizard
A large number of colour options.
BORDERS AND DECORATION OPTIONS
- Background Texture Texture uses page background color and, optionally, background texture color as its colours)
- Background texture color
- Make background stay fixed when scrolling the page
- Texture to use for the top navigation bar
- Second colour for top navigation bar texture. Optional - used in addition to Navigation Background Color)
- Texture used as entry background
- Second colour for entry background texture. Optional - used in addition to Entry Background Color)
- Texture used as mini-calendar background
- Second colour for mini-calendar background texture. Optional - used in addition to Entry Background Color)
- Linklist link underline style
- Sidebar heading underline
- Style of border used at the top of the page
- Style of border used at the bottom of the page
- Decoration used to identify links
- Decoration used on links when being hovered
- Appearance of entry subjects
- Free Text Title
- Text of free text box Supports some tags that can be converted to HTML. Currently, [b] can be used to bold text; must be closed with [/b]. [img] can be followed by an image URL to display an image, and must be closed with [/img]. Do NOT forget the close tags, or your style will display incorrectly.)
- Text shown for edit entry link
- Text shown for add memory link
- Text for comment section heading
- Text to replace a subject line when no subject is specified
- Text to show in a link to skip back through entries Include a # character to insert the number of entries that will be viewable when skipping back.)
- Text to show in a link to skip forward through entries Include a # character to insert the number of entries that will be viewable when skipping forward.)
- Symbol used between comment/edit/memory links on entries
- Link text to leave a comment.
- Link text to leave a comment on friends view entry.
- Link text to read comments.
- Link text to read comments on a friends view entry.
- Text for 'Current Mood'
- Text for 'Current Music'
- The text used when something is posted by an anonymous user
- Text to link to reply for for comment
- Text to link to parent comment of current comment
- Text to link to the thread stemming from the comment
- Text at start of linklist; optional and only displayed if a linklist exists and is enabled.
- Text used to link to the 'Recent Entries' view.
- Text used to link to the archive view.
- Text used to link to the 'Friends' view, if no custom friends title set
- Text used to link to the 'Friends' view for a community, if no custom friends title set
- Text used to link to the 'User Information' view.
- Title of the 'Friends of Friends' view
- Text for link to previous entry
- Text for link to next entry
- Display search box on styled pages
- Display mini-calendar on styled pages
- Number of journal entries to show on recent entry page
- Number of journal entries to show on friends page
- Date Format for Entries and Comments
- Use shared journal user pictures instead of poster's user picture.
- Enable to use the old comment page instead of the newer style specific view
- Display userpic on recent entries view?
- Display lj-user tags instead of displayed name/user name links on entries
- Display linklist on sidebar, if one is associated with the journal.
- Enable comment subject icons?
- Display an entry's number ie, display Entry #5 for the 5th entry posted in a journal)
- Base Font
- Alternative font style This general style will serve as a fallback if your preferred font is unavailable.)
I love this! There's a lot to play around with.
Thank you! I'd never written options for a style; I used to just mess around with the code to change things in my styles, but now want to use the wizard interface for everything :)
|Date:||April 12th, 2005 08:19 am (UTC)|| |
Have I told you I love this? I can't seem to remember. ;)
You definitely have now, and it's so brilliant to hear that, especially from you with your fantastic style :)
|Date:||April 18th, 2005 06:10 pm (UTC)|| |
That's funny...I thought it was brilliant to hear that you
style, because yours
is fantastic. ;)
Wow, cool. It's easy to navigate, it reads well, I like that you used the new calander and that you put it at the bottom. It is a little annoying to get to the bottom of the page and have to scroll back up for previous entries if you don't want to use day views, though. A top of page link would be good.
I like it. Good luck!
I've been playing with my own copy of the style to find out how to add a nicely placed link back to the top; haven't yet done so in a way that looks pleasant, but I'll work on it. And thank you so much for your comments!
Wow, I really like this one, good work
I like the textures :) It looks like there's a whole lot to play with and modify too. In case you don't read the scrollback, I was squeeing about the pretty themes in #lj_s
This is awesome, I love it. =D
Hey, another comment, I put it at my layout to see how cool it'd look but it keeps being all weird. On the main page of my entries the box is waaaaay down below but when I go to my friend pages and my previous entries its at the top where it should be. I can't figure out how to fix it either..
That's strange :-/ I looked at your journal shortly after you posted the comment and got a friend to check it as well; neither of us saw the problem you described, but we may have been using different web browsers. What do you use? Did refreshing the page help? I'd half-guess at it being caused by HTML in the entries, but the way I wrote this style means that HTML issues generally shouldn't be a problem.
I switched my layout to something else. I am using IE. I went into Firefox to view it there and it looked fine. Maybe my IE is just screwed up or something.
|Date:||April 16th, 2005 07:09 pm (UTC)|| |
Very nice! And I like the fact that there's a calendar down at the bottom. =)
i like the blackness of it....
this one is so coooool!! ♥
Something this simple being this beautiful is extraordinary.
on my want on LJ list.
|Date:||April 18th, 2005 08:16 am (UTC)|| |
I like this layout very much, particularly in orange, however I can't vote for it (with a clean conscience) because your navigation is at the top when it needs to be at the bottom (or a duplicate at the bottom). This is my primary peeve with all templates - the designer doesn't take into account that since we scroll from top to bottom to read, we shouldn't have to scroll back to the top again to continue reading.
i really like this style!
love the amount of options there are, so there's room o play around with a lot
Dude this one better get an award or soemthing.
my favorite layout in the contest.
Hi. At me to you the request. Help me with style. Excuse I is not strong in English. I want the style on the Israeli subjects. Read about styles and much пробывал much. Result: Negative. Thanks
This might be a silly question, seeing as you entered it in the contest and all, but would you mind if I used this style? I've been admiring it on rho
's journal and I'd love to use it.
Go ahead :) It's really neat to see other people using this style. You probably know how to get it working, but feel free to ask if you've any questions.
I actually tend to be absolute garbage when it comes to setting up styles, which is why I've never done a custom one before — I always end up giving up about halfway through — but I really want to try with this one. I really like Ice, Autumn, and Negatives, so I now I need to decide which one to go with. :)
Hello again. :) I'm going to sound like such an idiot, but I think I'm putting in the wrong numbers when I try to use the Create Style tool. I'd like to use the Ice theme, but nothing's coming out right. If you have a few moments and you don't mind, can you give me the basics on what to do here? I thought I knew how to do this, but I guess not. :/
Will it work if you use 3977266 as the layout id, and 4012783 as the theme ID? I'm briefly around on IRC if that doesn't work or you have any problems with it.
I keep getting "Invalid layer type: #4012783
is not a layout layer." I think I'm putting it in the wrong box. :/
*looks at the style page* I haven't tested this on another account, and am just looking at the style page with my own account. I get an error message like that if I put the themeID in the layout layerid box (though with 'Ice
is not a layout layer', maybe because it's my layer). Will it work if you do this?
Select 'other...' in the layout dropdown, and enter 3977266 in the layerid box there. Press 'change'.
Go to Theme, select 'other...' and enter 4012783 in the layerid box beside it. Save the changes.
|Date:||July 6th, 2006 04:40 pm (UTC)|| |
i really want to use this theme but
i have no idea how to do it.
oh goodness, I'm so sorry I let you go so long without a reply. Here's how to set it up on your journal, and please let me know if anything doesn't work properly:
Go to Your Styles
and create a style there. Name the style something you'll remember. When the create page appears, select 'Other...' on the Layout dropdown. Enter 3977266 in the Layerid box that appears. Press "Change".
If you want to use one of the colour themes, copy its number from the table in this entry, and choose "Other..." from the Theme dropdown. Enter the theme's number in the Layerid box. Save the style with Save Changes.
You'll be returned to the Styles page, where you can preview the new style on your journal by clicking the (#number
) link that appears beside it, or use it by clicking 'Use'.
Sure, go ahead! I must warn you, though: I haven't updated this in several years, so it may have problems and not support more recent features. I think Dreamwidth
will be updating it at some point, for use there, though I don't know what stage that's at. But feel free to use it anywhere and hack it up whatever way appeals to you.